Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sketch Journal

 
Figure Contour Sketches This sketch was my initial sketch in the beginning of the year and challenged me to draw using contour lines and learning how to sketch freehand. I found this sketch difficult because it was my first sketch and learning how to draw with straight lines was difficult as it is easier to draw using multiple lines. This sketch required me to focus and only use one stroke which produces a more aesthetically pleasing product.


 
 Tessellation In Nature   Above is a sketch of three examples of tessellation in nature. I found this sketch fairly easy as I am an observant person and notice tessellation in nature everyday. The challenging aspect of this sketch was learning how to repeat the same shape multiple times without manipulating the shape.

Cross-hatch Fruit The objective of this sketch was to draw fruit on a table using cross-hatch shadowing. I found this sketch fairly enjoyable because I enjoy cross-hatch shadowing. This sketch was helpful in teaching me how to draw real-life objects and applying shadowing by using this certain drawing technique.


Actual Chair Negative Space The above sketch was intended to teach us to draw a chair using negative space. Instead of drawing the chair using positive space and leaving the background white as negative space, this sketch challenged us to draw the negative space as positive space. I found this sketch difficult because it is abnormal and different and it was hard to visualize the chair as negative space rather than positive space. 




Chair Views The purpose of this sketch was to observe a chair in five different perspectives and then draw it to communicate different views. I found this sketch helpful to teach myself to observe an object from different view points and be able to sketch it accurately. I found this sketch fairly challenging because it was hard to draw the actual size of the chair. 



Napkin Sketch The sketch above is the floor plan and elevation sketch of my dorm room. It was drawn on a napkin and was drawn with a felt pen. I found this sketch challenging because it was the first floor plan I had ever drawn and the first elevation drawing I drew. I found it challenging because it was hard to draw the elevation while looking at the room as I was in it. This sketch helped me teach myself how to draw the room as if I was looking at it from an elevation rather than standing within it.


 Shade and Shadow of Interior Corner of Room The sketch above is a corner of a room using shadowing and shading to communicate depth and true perception. This sketch went well for me because I have improved with two-point perspective drawing and feel fairly confident in drawing in this perspective. I used cross-hatch shading in the corner to demonstrate shadows and space.


 Room Value Study This sketch was to first draw an area as it was using line weights to show the value of the space, and then draw the area to show the change in value in the space using high contrast methods. I found this sketch challenging because it is an unusual way of viewing a space and is harder to draw compared to drawing it just as it is. This sketch was helpful in teaching me how to draw a space using high contrast methods which is a new technique I learned throughout this course.


Black Paper  This sketch above was drawn on black paper using media such as a white colored pencil. The final sketch was different compared to the other sketches and was intended for me to show textures with the use of drawing techniques and media application as well as create the illusion of depth through the use of overlapping and observation of angles. This sketch was challenging because it was completely different and I found it difficult to express texture while using a colored pencil on black paper. I feel as if I executed the perception of depth and texture as well as I could and I found this sketch entertaining because of how different it was compared to the previous sketches. This sketch taught me to use different media applications and it's difference in communicating ideas.

4 comments:

  1. Your interior design sketches look good. As what my friends selling retirement communities atlanta say, design plays a huge role in selling real estaet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks Best Windows and Doors Company Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here... Bathroom Renovation Toronto

    ReplyDelete